ST JUDE'S CHURCH WINDOWS
EAST (SANCTUARY) WALL
The east window was built by F.X. Zettler's Bavarian Glass Establishment, Munchen, Germany. It was installed in St Jude's in 1879 in memory of Edward William Andrews, the gift of his wife. The top left picture depicts the meeting of two disciples with Christ on the road to Emmaus. In the top right picture Christ reveals himself to the two disciples, through the breaking of bread. The bottom two pictures tell the story of the woman who touched the hem of Christ’s garment and was ‘made whole’ (Matthew 9:20-22).
When the window arrived from Germany the face of Christ was cracked. A replacement section was sent from Germany and on arrival was found to be cracked in almost the same manner, and the incorrect size. The face was built into a window created in 1895 for the north wall (see below).
The current window was built in 1974 to replace the original window of 1895, which had badly deteriorated. It comprises old glass found under the stage of the church hall and glass from the original window (including the ‘IHS’ panel and the face of Christ originally intended for the east wall window).
The window was dedicated to the memory of the founders and early worshippers at St Jude’s as part of the 120th anniversary celebrations.
The Basham window was installed and dedicated to the memory of Susan Louisa Basham.
The other two windows in the north wall are also of the Bavarian design.
The window next to the pulpit was designed and built by Clarksons in Adelaide and was given in memory of John Oliver Whitmore by his widow. The window was dedicated in 1954.
The centre window, installed c1880, was designed by H.C. Holglasinalerei and built by F.X. Zettler, Munchen.
The far right window was built in Adelaide.
Photographs courtesy of Robyn Hutchinson. Top gallery features details from the windows.