A WORD ON THE NAVE
From a sermon delivered at St Jude's by Fr Andrew Coleman, 16th Week in Ordinary Time, Wednesday 21 July 2010.
"Look up at the timbers lining the church’s ceiling above you, and you can imagine that it is like the inside of a ship, as though you are looking down into the bottom of a boat and seeing where the people sit. Well this is not a coincidence. The word for this part of the church is the ‘nave’. It comes from the Latin word ‘navis’ which means ‘ship’. That’s where we get the word ‘navy’ from.
"So when we are gathered here in church, it is as though we are gathered in a ship. When we gather here in church, we affirm that we are gathered into the Ark of God, and Jesus is the captain at the helm, leading us out through the waters of darkness to the Kingdom which is our destiny."
ST JUDE'S CHURCH INTERIOR
The NAVE was built in 1854. The first services were held between the walls – no floor, no windows, no roof, only boxes for seats on Christmas Day 1854.
The cedar pews were built by Samuel Trigg, 1855.
The cedar lectern was built and inlaid by George Roads, who also crafted the altar. The pulpit was made as a memorial to the Rev. Jagger and Gerard Wood, a generous benefactor of St Jude’s.
The Bishop’s Chair was purchased in 1880.
Recent additions are a carved wooden statue of the Madonna and Child, donated by Mrs Iris Hearne and positioned in the southern window alcove nearest to the pulpit and, beneath it, a turned wooden holder and stand for votive candles, made by parishioner Dr John Rice OAM.
In 2014, a movable wooden font was gifted in memory of Joshua Edwin Pomery. The original font, which sits in the front porch, was installed in 1871.
The FRONT PORCH was added in 1870. The two top storeys of the tower were added in 1937.
The clock, originally in Swanland Hall, Yorkshire, UK (1910), was installed in St Jude’s in 1940.
The church bell, inscribed 1854, was the gift of William Basham Sr of Hindmarsh Valley.
The brass railing was given in memory of Alison May Crawford, c1940.
The double amber glass window was a gift of John and Emily Trigg and was dedicated in 1954 in memory of John and Ann Trigg.
The hymn book cupboard was gifted in 1947 in memory of Percy and Gladys Knill. The book cupboard and table were gifted in memory of Dulcie E. Constable.
The SANCTUARY is at the eastern end of the church.
The altar was made by George Roads of Yankalilla and gifted by Mrs Swan c1884.
The panelling was dedicated in memory of Reginald G. Trigg and Eric M. Trigg, sons of John and Emily Trigg (grandsons of John and Ann Trigg). Tablets inscribed in memory of John and Emily Trigg and George Carnegie Smith and Amy Joanna Smith (son-in-law and daughter of John and Emily) were added later.
The tall candlesticks were given in memory of The Rev. Frank B. Hewitson by Mrs Hewitson. The altar candlesticks were gifted in memory of John O. Whitmore by Mrs Whitmore.
The sanctuary lamp was gifted in memory of Eva S. Gray by her daughter Mrs G. Cornish in 1946.
The credence table was made by T.W. Roach of Adelaide and gifted by Mrs Swan c1884.
The pair of antique chairs was given by the Welch family in memory of Sarah E. Welch, Susan B. Welch and Henry B. Welch. The blackwood chair was the gift of Mr and Mrs L. Wilby.
The brass railing was given in memory of Emily and James Chambers and their son.
The picture on the right of the altar is titled ‘The Boy Samuel - The calling of Samuel when he heard the voice of God’. It was dedicated to the memory of The Revd Robert F. Jagger. On the left is ‘The Boy Christ - Teaching in the temple’, commemorating the ministry of The Revd Thomas M. Boyer, 1891-1933. Above the credence table is a depiction of St Veronica's handkerchief, given by Mrs F.B. Hewitson.
The PIPE ORGAN, built by George Stephens especially for St Jude's, was the gift of the Carter family. It was dedicated in memory of John Vernon Carter (1894-1968) and Muriel Carter (1896-1973) by Bishop Graham Walden, Bishop of the Murray, at the Patronal Festival on 29 October, 1995. The organist was Professor David Galliver.